General Motors PLM Enhancing Portfolio Governance to Improve Delivery Success
MI-GSO | PCUBED partnered with GM’s Product Development organization to help structure and deliver a Global Business Transformation Program. The Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) program was focused on improving first time quality and reducing non-value added activities by streamlining business processes and improving systems integration across the full Product Development Lifecycle.
The existing PLM program was not delivering the expected value and therefore the overall success of the program was at risk.
- All stakeholders did not have true visibility of program health and status
- The complexity of the program required more robust change controls to manage timing and cost risks
- Business priorities were not clearly aligned with the technology roadmap
- Benefits and business case were not fully validated or accepted
- Business requirements were not aligned to core PLM capabilities
Pcubed conducted a Program Diagnostic assessment based on our industry leading program transformation model which enabled GM to quickly realign program deliverables and timing with stakeholder expectations across the organization. Recommendations from our assessment identified several roadblocks that needed resolution for GM to successfully deliver their PLM program.
The Business Benefits
Pcubed’s disciplined program management approach enabled GM to overcome the identified program roadblocks and establish a roadmap for success. The overall benefits expected at program completion were determined to be much more significant than originally anticipated.
- Fully integrated engineering systems allowing dynamic configuration of “anything” by “anyone” at “anytime”
- Fewer systems, reduced IT costs, less customization – leveraging Siemens Teamcenter COTS capabilities
- A single gold source of data and point of entry for everyone
- Over 100 business processes re-engineered to reduce effort, improve cycle time, and enable for tighter integration between systems
- Double digit productivity gains on core processes
- Significant ROI at program completion
Positioned for Success
Leveraging the enhanced Portfolio Governance Framework and Program Delivery Processes, Pcubed helped position GM for future success in delivering their portfolio of programs and projects. GM’s PLM governance council oversees the product development portfolio and the newly established PMO ensures successful delivery of programs and projects using a structured management approach.
“At first we hired Pcubed, then we built the solution together. I’m now the happy owner of a PLM PMO which sets the standard for everyone else.”
– Craig Brown, PLM Leader General Motors
For further information on this article and MI-GSO | PCUBED